Created to adapt to the home of an elderly person to prevent falls or to help with home maintenance or to facilitate the mobility of persons with disabilities at certain levels of their home, the stairlift is a device that is not not very common around the world but is very useful and practical. Here is our comprehensive guide on how to find the best stair lift.
What is a stair lift?
The stair lift is a device consisting of a power seat control system, which is installed on the stairs of a house to grant disabled people access to the floors of their house without taking risks and without any additional effort.
How does a stair lift work?
First, the stair lift consists of a chair, an electrical motor unit and one or more rails. The rails that are attached directly to the stairs, powered by the engine block, will allow the chair to go up and down the stairs. The motor is powered by batteries. These batteries are themselves powered by the mains. The user only has to sit comfortably on the chair and activate a command to climb the stairs.
The stair lift is also equipped with safety sensors, that will cause the automatic shutdown of your device as soon as it faces obstacles.
What are the different types of stair lifts?
Indeed, like many other devices, the stair lift comes in different models. Thus, depending on your needs you will know which one to purchase. Among the different models of stair lifts, listed below, some of the most important are:
- The electric stair lift – there are two types: straight and curved
- The wheelchair platform – it is very suitable for people with reduced mobility
- The chair lift – is the primary on hill transport at most ski areas
- The escalator – is a conveyor transport device used for taking people between floors of a building
The major differences are located mainly in the rails. Indeed, each stair builder makes choices that are specific to the rail level. So you will see stair-mounted monorails and bi-rails. Keep in mind that the choice between one or the other will not affect the operation of your device. The difference will be at the level of circulating; because the bi-rail takes more space while the monorail takes up less space downstairs.
Things to keep in mind when choosing a good stair lift
- Comfort – comfort is equally important because the stair lift will be used very often so it must be cozy and convenient
- The configuration of your staircase – depending on what type of staircase you have, you can choose from straight or curved stair lifts
- Safety standards – safety is one key element when choosing a good stair lift; the safety features will prevent any health hazards from happening
- Usability – if you are interesting in purchasing a stair lift for elderly people or people with disabilities, opt for one with simple controls
- Costs – most stair lifts can go from $2000 to $5000 or even more, depending on its features and functions
- Aesthetics – this is an important aspect in the selection criteria; because do not forget, the stair lift will become part of the furniture of your home.